You can never go wrong with a turkey recipe in December! Here is a great way to use up your Christmas leftovers.
Turkey & Stilton Burgers with Mushroom Sauce
Makes 3 Burgers
For the Burgers:
- 100g Blue Cheese
- 35ml Chopped Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 10 ml Fresh Thyme
- 100g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 500g Cooked Turkey Meat (leftovers)
- 3 Eggs
- 8ml English Mustard
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- Flour for dusting
- 1 egg
For the Sauce:
- 300g Button Mushrooms
- 25g Butter
- 200ml Vermouth
- 400ml Crème Fraiche
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Cut the Blue Stilton Cheese into small cubes and mix the chopped herbs and the breadcrumbs.
- Cut the leftover turkey into pieces and place in a food processor. Add the eggs, mustard and garlic and process until the mixture looks like a fine paste. Season as desired.
- Divide the turkey mixture into 3 parts and pat each round into a flat circle. Put a cube of cheese in the centre and gently bring the turkey mixture around to cover completely.
- Cover the patty in flour, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Make the sauce, slice the mushrooms and cook with butter for 5 minutes. Add the vermouth, and cook on a slow heat until it has reduced by half. Finally, add crème fraiche and continue to simmer gently for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- To cook the patties, shallow-fry in vegetable oil on both sides, drain well on absorbent kitchen paper. Serve the patties with the mushroom sauce.
In season at this time of year;
Vegetables; Beetroot, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kale, Leeks, Parsnips, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Red Cabbage, Sweed, Turnips
Fruit & Nuts; Apples (Egremont, Russet, Blenheim Orange, Orleans Reinette), Chestnuts, Clementines, Cranberries, Pears, Satsumas, Tangerines
Meat: Duck, Goose, Grouse, Guinea Fowl, Hare, Partridge, Pheasant, Rabbit, Venison, Wood Pigeon
Fish & Seafood: Brill, Clams, Haddock, Halibut, Hake, John Dory, Lemon Sole, Monkfish, Mussels, Oysters (Native & Rock), Plaice, Scallops, Sea Bass, Turbot
Sign up to our newsletter for more seasonal tips and news.
Suzanne is a professional chef, wife and mother who has lived in South East London all her life.
You can email Suzanne with any comments or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
This recipe first appeared in the December 2017 issue of SE22 magazine.