This is the recipe we used at our cookery class at fifty seven on the 11th January 2020.
Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies
- 375g Salted Butter
- 400g Dark Chocolate (chocolate mix)
- 480g Castor Sugar
- 6 Medium Eggs (egg & sugar mix)
- 225g Rice Flour
- Pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 1800C or to gas mark 4.
- Prepare your tin measuring approximately 33cm x 23cm x 5cm by lining with parchment paper.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and place in a saucepan with your chocolate to melt slowly over a low heat.
- Stir chocolate mix until smooth and glossy. Allow chocolate mix to cool.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add sugar, lightly beat together (egg & sugar mix).
- Measure your flour and sieve into another bowl, add a pinch of salt.
- Pour the egg & sugar mix into the cooled chocolate and beat well together with wooden spoon or spatula.
- Finally add the flour and beat together well.
- Pour into your lined tin.
- Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for a total of 30 minutes, after 15 minutes baking, open the oven and turn the brownie for a perfectly even bake.
In season at this time of year;
Fruit, Nuts & Fungi
Apples, Chestnuts, Pears (late – Concorde, Doyenne du Comice, Conference and Winter Nellis), Rhubarb (forced), Walnuts
Vegetables & Herbs
Jerusalem Artichokes, Beetroot, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Kale, Leeks, Parsnips, Potatoes, Swede, Turnips.
Meat & Game
Duck, Guinea Fowl, Hare, Partridge, Venison
Fish & Shellfish
Brill, Clams, Cockles, Haddock, Halibut, Hake, John Dory, Lemon Sole, Monkfish, Mussels, Oyster, Plaice, Turbot.
Going out of season
Cabbage, Cauliflower, Goose, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichoke, Leek, Parsnip, Rhubarb, Swede, Truffle.
Suzanne is a professional chef, wife and mother who has lived in South East London all her life.
This article first appeared in the February 2020 issue of SE22 magazine.