Here is a wonderful recipe from Suzanne James from our latest magazine.
Peaches & Brioche (serves 4)
- 2 peaches or nectarines
- 4 brioche slices
- 150g Mascarpone
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out, pod reserved
- 150g caster sugar, plus extra to taste
- pinch Cinnamon
- 50g Butter
- 50ml double cream
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Make a cross in the bottom of the
peaches with the tip of a sharp knife, then place the peaches in the
water and leave for 30 seconds. Drain, peel away the skin of the peaches
and set aside.
- Cut the fingers of brioche in half and toast them on a griddle pan until
golden-brown. Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- Mix together the mascarpone and vanilla seeds in a bowl, adding sugar,
to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Sprinkle the caster sugar over the
base of the pan and allow it to melt and caramelise – do not stir the
sugar, just shake the pan. Once the sugar has turned golden-brown and
caramelised, carefully add the butter (the sugar may spit) and vanilla pod
to the pan, stirring well.
- Add the peaches to the pan, basting them with the caramel for a few
seconds. Remove the peaches from the pan and set aside, then stir the
cream into the remaining caramel in the pan.
- To serve, place the brioche slices on a plate then top each with a peach,
drizzle over the sauce and serve with a spoonful of vanilla mascarpone.
In Season this Month
Fruits & Nuts
Apples, Apricot, Aubergine, Blackberries, Blackcurrants, Blueberries, Loganberries, Peaches, Plums, Raspberries, Redcurrants, Strawberries, White currants, Cobnuts, Hazelnuts
Vegetables & Herbs
Artichokes, Aubergines, Beetroot, Broccoli, Cabbages, Carrots, Cauliflower, Chard, Courgettes, Cucumber, Fennel, French Beans, Garlic, Kohlrabi, Lamb’s Lettuce, Onions, Pak Choi, Peas (inc. Sugar Snaps) Potatoes, Radishes, Rocket, Runner Beans, Salsify, Scorzonera, Samphire, Sorrel, Spinach, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes, Watercress
Meat & Game
Lamb, Rabbit, Venison, Wood Pigeon
Fish & Shellfish
Black Bream, Crab (brown, hen & Spider), Signal Crayfish, Grey Mullet, Lobster, Mackerel, Pollack, Prawns, Scallops, Sea Bass, Squid, Trout (river – brown and rainbow)
Going out of season
Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherry, Mange tout, Peach, Redcurrant, Strawberries (many of these towards the month).