You will need a 12inch deep round tin & parchment to line it.
|For the Cake||For the Frosting|
|230g self raising flour1tsp baking powder1.5tsp cinnamon powder1 teaspoon ground nutmeg1tsp mixed spice200g caster sugar100g walnuts chopped3 eggs150ml sunflower oil400g grated parsnips*100g grated apples**(Squeeze in a tea towel to remove all juice)2 oranges zested||1x 200g tub cream cheese (light preferably)250g unsalted butter200g icing sugar1 tsp vanilla extract Plus chopped walnuts to decorate!|
- Preheat the oven to 1500C.
- Sieve together the self-raising flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, ground nutmeg & mixed spice.
- Sprinkle in the caster sugar.
- Chop the walnuts and add to the mixture.
- Beat the eggs and sunflower oil together to emulsify and add to the mixture.
- Grate the parsnips and apples and squeeze through a tea towel to remove all the juice, then fold into the mixture.
- Add the zest from two oranges to the mixture and fold in.
- Line your 12inch deep round tin with parchment & pour the cake mix in.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes at 1500C.
- Combine the frosting ingredients – cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth.
- When the cake is cool pour over the cake and then pop the chopped walnuts on the top.
In season at this time of year;
Jerusalem Artichokes, Beetroot, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Garlic, Kale, Leeks, Mushrooms, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Red Cabbage, Shallots, Spinach, Swede, Turnips.
Fruit & Nuts;
Apples, Pears (late – Concorde, Doyenne du Comice, Conference and Winter Nellis), Rhubarb (forced), Walnuts
Duck (end of season), Guinea Fowl, Hare, Partridge, Venison
Fish & Seafood:
Brill, Clams, Cockles, Haddock, Halibut, Hake, John Dory, Lemon Sole, Salmon (coming into season), Monkfish, Mussels, Oyster, Plaice, Turbot