It is amazing what you discover when you ‘go vegan’! Who’d have guessed you can make a chocolate tart with avocados?! It is possibly the easiest thing ever to make, and it is really delicious.
Avocado & Chocolate Tart – makes 12” tart
- 150g Medjool dates
- 120g Almonds
- 160g Gluten Free Oats
- 120g Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil
- 625g Avocado flesh
- 188g Maple Syrup
- 63g Cocoa Powder
- 250g Dark Chocolate (melted)
- 63g Coconut Oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- A pinch of Cinnamon
- Zest of one orange
- Blitz the base ingredients together and press into a 12” tin. Blind bake for about 15 minutes (but no need to use baking beans).
- Leave base to cool.
- Blitz all the filling ingredients together until well combined and smooth.
- Once the base has cooled add the filling to the tin and smooth the top. Place in fridge and leave to set.
- Garnish the top of the tart with the zest of one orange for a ‘jaffa cake’ effect!
In season at this time of year;
Fruit, Nuts & Fungi
Apples, Chestnuts, Pears (late – Concorde, Doyenne du Comice, Conference and Winter Nellis), Rhubarb (forced), Walnuts
Vegetables & Herbs
Jerusalem Artichokes, Beetroot, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Kale, Leeks, Parsnips, Potatoes, Swede, Turnips.
Meat & Game
Duck, Guinea Fowl, Hare, Partridge, Venison
Fish & Shellfish
Brill, Clams, Cockles, Haddock, Halibut, Hake, John Dory, Lemon Sole, Monkfish, Mussels, Oyster, Plaice, Turbot.
Going out of season
Cabbage, Cauliflower, Goose, Horseradish, Jerusalem Artichoke, Leek, Parsnip, Rhubarb, Swede, Truffle.
Suzanne is a professional chef, wife and mother who has lived in East Dulwich all her life!
You can email Suzanne with any comments or questions at email@example.com
This article first appeared in the February 2019 issue of SE22 magazine.