We have been experimenting with Tacos this month, to be served as evening food for a wedding couple with a Mexican connection. This traditional Mexican dish is composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. A taco can be made with a variety of fillings, including beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables, and cheese, allowing for great versatility and variety. This easy recipe with garlic, mushrooms and melted cheese couldn’t be simpler, it is meat free but has amazing flavour and is the perfect dish to serve as the warmer weather arrives.
Spring Tacos with Mushrooms
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 10-20 minutes
- 25g (3/4oz butter)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 250g Oyster Mushrooms, sliced
- 250g Chestnut Mushrooms, sliced
- 250g Button Mushrooms, sliced
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Truffle Oil (optional)
- 2 Shallots, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- Small handful thyme, chopped
- 4 Soft Tacos (we made our own but you can buy ready made)
- Small handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Grated Pecorino Cheese
- Sweet Chipotle Paste
- Chilli or Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Heat half the butter and olive oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms, garlic, seasoning, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Cook over a high heat until the mushrooms have released their juices and the juice has started to evaporate – about 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the butter and the oil, including the truffle oil if you are using it, the shallots and cook until soft.
- Check the seasoning.
- Spoon the mushrooms into a heated dish and sprinkle over the parsley and cheese.
- Make the tacos with the mushroom mix and add sweet chipotle sauce or fresh tomato salsa, add a dollop of crème fraiche and roll.
In season this month:
Fruits & Nuts
Vegetables & Herbs
Asparagus, Broccoli, Carrots, Jersey Royals, Lettuce, New Potatoes, Peas, Radishes, Rocket, Samphire, Spinach, Spring Greens, Spring Onions,Watercress, Wild Nettles, Basil, Chervil, Chives, Coriander, Dill, Elderflowers, Oregano, Mint, Nasturtium, Parsley (curly), Rosemary, Sage, Sorrel, Tarragon
Meat & Game
Lamb, Wood Pigeon
Fish & Shellfish
Cod, Coley, Crab, Haddock, Halibut, Langoustine, Mackerel, Plaice, Prawns, Salmon, Sardines, Sea Trout, Shrimp, Whelks, Whitebait
Going out of season
Suzanne is a professional chef, wife and mother who has lived in south East London all her life. www.suzannejames.co.uk
You can email Suzanne with any comments or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org