School holidays are fast approaching and summer is well and truly here! Here is a recipe for a wonderful, jewel coloured summer salad.
Minted Garden Vegetables with Real Salad Cream
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 2 Bunches Baby Beetroot with leaves
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 250g (8oz) English Asparagus
- 1kg (2lb) Broad Beans, Shelled
- 400g (13oz) Baby Courgettes, cut into 1cm (1/2 inch) thick slices
- 200g (6 ½ oz) firm English Goat’s Cheese, Crumbled
- Bunch of mint, chopped
For the Salad Cream
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon English Mustard
- 4-5 Tablespoons Single Cream
- Trim the beetroot keeping the smallest leaves for the salad, and place the roots in a pan with the vinegar. Cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cool, drain and peel. Bring a lightly salted pan of water to the boil and cook the asparagus for 1 minute. Add the broad beans and courgettes. Cook for 3 minutes, drain and cool.
- For the salad cream, cook the eggs in boiling water for 7 minutes. Cool, then shell them. Remove the yolks and mash with the vinegar and mustard. Add the cream until smooth. You can use a hand held blender for this.
- Season with salt and white pepper. Mix the cheese with the mint vegetables and leaves and sprinkle over the salad. Drizzle the salad cream over the salad to serve.
In season this month:
Fruits & Nuts
Apricot, Blueberries, Cherries, Gooseberries, Greengages, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Blackcurrants, Raspberries, Redcurrants, Whitecurrants
Vegetables & Herbs
Globe Artichokes, Aubergine, Beetroot, Broad Beans, Broccoli, Carrots, Courgette, Fennel, French Beans (whole pod), Garlic, Jersey Royal New Potatoes, Kohl Rabi, Lettuce & Salad Leaves, Mangetout, Onions, Pak Choi, Peas, Radishes, Rocket, Runner Beans, Samphire, Spinach, Spring Onions, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Watercress
Meat & Game
Lamb, Rabbit, Wood pigeon
Fish & Shellfish
Cod, Coley, Crab, Dover Sole, Haddock, Halibut, Herring, Langoustine, Mackerel, Plaice, Pollack, Prawns, Salmon, Sardines, Scallops, Sea Bream, Sea Trout, Shrimp, Squid, Whelks, Whitebait
Going out of season
Blackcurrants, Broad Beans, Loganberries
Suzanne is a professional chef, wife and mother who has lived in South East London all her life.
You can email Suzanne with any comments or questions at email@example.com