West Norwood Feast is a people powered market like no other in South London – it’s run entirely by volunteers from the local community with the aim that people can now do a week’s shopping at Feast and the local shops.
The next market is from 10am – 4pm on Sunday 2ndJune and they will be running them on the first Sunday of every month until December.
Each month there will be five specialist-themed market hubs stretched along the high street:
- Artisan’s market – here you’ll find artist’s demonstrating their craft, running workshops and selling their wares – anything from handmade pottery, to jewellery, t shirts, toys to photography and art
- Food fair – whether you’re a keen foodie, committed to local produce or simply fancy a bite to eat there’s something to satisfy everyone’s cravings here
- Retro Village – alongside clothing rails full of classic vintage and retro clothes, you’ll find kitchenalia, books, re-made and re-claimed furnishings and much more
- Fresh ‘n’ Green – offers fresh produce and garden stuff to meet local demand for meat, fish, cheese, bread, olives, charcuterie, fruit, vegetables and fresh organic juices as well as old favourites like popcorn, flowers and plants
- Family hub – a space for free family entertainment, health and wellness advice and activities – there’s always lots happening here plus is a lovely ‘Picnic & Play Area’ just to sit down and take it all in
The major focus this year will be on sustainable living – taking look at our carbon footprint and consulting with traders with a view to reducing single use plastics. They now have a cunning plan to reduce, reuse and recycle. This includes some of the following initiatives:
- Feast traders have pledged to give a discount to Feast goers who bring their own reusable containers when buying food and drink
- You may also notice some enthusiastic Feast volunteers at the bins advising on how to dispose of waste. This will include a pilot scheme to compost food waste.
- Alongside the usual Feast day entertainment, they will be hosting a range of workshops and activities promoting ways to live sustainably. Over the year there will the opportunities to learn how to repair, get creative with plastic, cook sustainably, green your space.
Don’t just take our word for it what a fantastic community organisation this is – here’s some of the reviews of the feast.
“Fabulous community spirit & homemade treats! What’s not to love”
“Plenty of food stalls to choose from with a wide range of International cuisines, lovely artisan stalls selling homemade products, great concerts,. Overall a great community vibe. I’ve been attending regularly since I learned about it.Amazing idea!”
“Hidden gem and family festival. Family friendly, lots of different things going on for all types and ages of people”
Future 2019 feast dates & times are:
10am – 4pm on Sunday 2nd June; Sunday 7th July; Sunday 4th August; Sunday 1st September; Sunday 6th October; Sunday 3rd November; Sunday 1st December